but at what price do we take what we were asking for? Maybe the phrase "Be careful what you wish for" applies here?
As of March 14, I have resigned from my current job, effective at the conclusion of my current contract. The reason...
I'M GOING TO GRAD SCHOOL!!! Tennessee Tech University has offered me a full Graduate Assistantship! Next fall I will be a TTU Eagle. My Master's Degree will be a MA in Teaching: Secondary Curriculum and Instruction. My assistantship will have me working with the athletic bands and all 3 concert ensembles. In other words, I would be part of the band staff. :)
The price I pay is my students. I have so many that are so wonderful and I can't stand to think of leaving. A few in particular come to mind that cause me to feel a great deal of guilt. I'm so sorry for leaving them. I was warned that leaving one's first job is the hardest - and it's true! Not that I've left more than one... but it is the students that make it the most difficult. One 8th grader, in particular, makes me feel terrible about it. Last year he wasn't going to go out for band in HS and now he's one of my most enthusiastic students. Several other 8th graders, I came to find out, only signed up for band because they knew they would have me as their teacher. I feel terrible about it.
HOWEVER! Always trying to find the silver lining... this really means I had an impact on my students. I was doing my job and doing it better than I probably thought. If kids were signing up for band because they wanted me to teach them and they were excited, then I was doing things right.
No comments:
Post a Comment