For my next concert I'm going to try rotating parts. I'm doing this for a number of different reasons, but here's a case for doing so:
Playing second and third part requires a very different set of listening skills and performing skills. Being in the middle of the score versus on top of the score provides a very different sense of one's ensemble responsibility. Likewise, playing first requires a very different set of skills, and a different level of self-confidence. For the clarinet player that usually plays second, hopefully he or she will take this new-found confidence to the second and third part. IT MAKES EVERYONE BETTER!
It's also about preparing the next group of leaders. If there is a senior principal position, that student WILL graduate. No matter if I give them an F, it won't hold them back, as much as I'd like for them to stay! Those that are second or third in line need a little experience before taking the reigns themselves. It's just like with a football team - in the end when you're up by 15-20 points, you put in the second string to give them some playing experience. Well, in music, when the music is simple enough (range/technical facility required), it's a good time to give them that opportunity.
I'm looking forward to trying it out. While I will have to battle some egos this first time around, I'm sure that it will work itself in (students graduating out and such..) to the point that's what they will know and expect.
No comments:
Post a Comment